Director of Play
Position Title: Director of Play
Reports To: Assistant Camp Director
Nature of the Position: Seasonal and Residential
Dates: June 16 – August 6, 2013
Number of Positions: 1
Girls Leadership Institute (GLI) Description:
GLI teaches girls tools for assertive self-expression, emotional intelligence, and healthy relationships for success in leadership and life. Our programs include parent-daughter workshops, day camps, a residential summer camp, professional development trainings for educators, parent education presentations, and after-school classes.
GLI seeks experienced Director of Play dedicated to girls’ social and emotional development to work at its residential summer camp at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, MA, from June 16 – August 6, 2013. GLI summer camp is divided into two, three-week sessions, serving girls in grades six through twelve (sixth graders attend for a ten-day session).
GLI is seeking a Director of Play who will oversee the fitness program and recreational activities. The Director of play will work towards creating a fun, non competitive and encouraging space for girls to engage in physical activity. Too often girls are under great pressure to perform on the athletic field. The Director of Play will help create a curriculum that supports girls in finding a healthy relationship to their bodies and physical activity whether it be through traditional sports, yoga, dance, silly games or walks through the woods.
The Director of Play helps create the “GLI magic” that allows girls to take risks that they never thought possible and to build stronger friendships than they’ve ever known. What does the GLI magic look like? It is 60 screaming girls, covered in face paint, playing kickball. It is you cheering for every single girl at bat and then watching each girl start to cheer for others. It’s leading a group sing along (when you can’t carry a tune) under a tarp in the pouring rain. It’s acknowledging and supporting a girl’s real emotions, just when you thought you were done for the day. It’s about taking risks and being your real self in order to give girls the permission to do the same.
The Director of Play receives one day off every 7-8 days and two days off in between sessions. Working as a member of the GLI staff is a unique, exciting and demanding opportunity. Creating the GLI community requires hard work, long hours, and significant commitment. Staff must maintain a high level of energy, patience, professionalism, and compassion from early morning wake-up to evening staff meetings. This intense work schedule requires stamina and dedication. The result is an incredibly rewarding job transforming the lives of adolescent girls.
- Create a fitness curriculum for middle and high school girls
- Plan and oversee all fitness activities
- Train and mentor residential staff in the fitness curriculum
- Oversee, plan and execute a field day
- Fill in for Health Director during her time off once a week by covering morning and evening medication and all other necessary support
- Lead an advisory group four days a week for 45 minutes
- Accompany and support their advisory group for the ropes course field trip one day per week
- Plan special GLI events such as July 4th, Olympiad, Loveball and weekend activities
- Support morning games four days a week
- Support evening activity four days a week
- Call each advisee’s family mid way through each session to update and check in
- Write a short anecdotal reflection on each advisee’s overall camp experience
- Participate in regular staff meetings and teacher meetings to debrief lessons and discuss girls’ progress
- Participate in five full days of staff training at Mount Holyoke College, June 17-21
- Participate in two full days of post-camp evaluation at Mount Holyoke College, August 5 & 6
A sample of a typical day for the Director of Play
8:40 Games (4 days a week for 45 minutes)
9:30 Prep Work & Meetings
11:30 Support Free Time
1:35 Advisory (4 days a week for 45 minutes)
2:30 Fitness (4 days a week 1 hour and 45 minutes)
4:20 Fitness (4 days a week 1 hour and 45 minutes)
7:00-9:00 Evening Activity (4 nights a week)
Candidates must be at least 24 years of age and have at least one year of experience planning and implementing a fitness and or sports related curriculum.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience leading sports and fitness related activities for youth
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Have current CPR and First Aid certification
- Work well with others as part of a team
- Be comfortable with professional observation and regular feedback
- Approach problems creatively and proactively
- Be excited to be part of a summer camp community
- Be passionate about girls’ empowerment and leadership
- Be able to connect and relate well with girls in grades 6-12
- Have the ability to remain flexible and patient in the face of time pressure and multiple demands
- Have experience with sports related injuries, especially sprained ankles
• $5,200 for seven weeks of summer camp inclusive of teacher training and staff orientation, June 16 – August 6, 2013
• Room and board at Mount Holyoke College for June 16 – August 6, 2013
• Total travel reimbursement up to $200 if traveling beyond a 150 mile radius from Mount Holyoke College
Applications will be reviewed and processed in the order received. Although the application deadline is March 15, 2013, hiring decisions may be made prior to this date. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, application, and at least three references in MS Word or a PDF format to Julia Loonin at email@example.com.
The subject line of the email should include your full name and “Director of Play Application.” Please call 866.744.9102, extension 2 with any questions. To watch the GLI video, see photos from last summer, or read testimonials please visit www.girlsleadership.org