Position Title: Office Manager
Reports To: Director
Nature of the Position: Seasonal and Residential
Dates: May 15 – June 14 for 15 hours per week, June 14 – August 6, 2013 full time
Number of Positions: 1
Girls Leadership Institute (GLI) Description:
GLI teaches girls tools for assertive self-expression, emotional intelligence, and healthy relationships for success in leadership and life. Our programs include parent-daughter workshops, day camps, a residential summer camp, and professional development trainings for educators, parent education presentations, and after-school classes.
GLI seeks experienced Office Manager dedicated to girls’ social and emotional development to work at its residential summer camp at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, MA, from June 16 – August 6, 2013. GLI summer camp is divided into two, three-week sessions, serving girls in grades six through twelve (sixth graders attend for a ten-day session).
The Office Manager who will supervise 1 - 2 office interns and works with the Camp Director to oversee the operations of GLI Summer Camp.
The Office Manager receives one day off every 7-8 days and two days off in between sessions. Working as a member of the GLI staff is a unique, exciting and demanding opportunity. Creating the GLI community requires hard work, long hours, and significant commitment. Staff must maintain a high level of energy, patience, professionalism, and compassion from early morning wake-up to evening staff meetings. This intense work schedule requires stamina and dedication. The result is an incredibly rewarding job transforming the lives of adolescent girls.
- Help organize, file and prepare pre camp paper work
- Ensure that each girl and staff member has the required file for health history and examination before the start of camp
- Confirm off campus activities and transportation with vendors
- Support the Camp Director in preparing materials, schedules, and systems for camp
- Help organize materials for both camp and staff training
- Function as the chief liaison to clients and Mount Holyoke College, serving as the first point of contact via phone and email and delegating all response communication as needed.
- Customer support to parents and vendors. The Office Manager will respond to all parent inquiries by phone and email
- Plan and oversee the first and last days of each camp session working with the Assistant Camp Director to organize girl check-in and checkout
- Process accounting documentation by reporting expenses and completing necessary check requests and receipt tracking forms
- Confirm all off-campus trip activities, making phone calls and additional arrangements as necessary
- Oversee 6-8th grade session one girl spending through tracking and inventory at the GLI store and collect daily spending totals and match expected totals with cash.
- Oversee camp store by managing Residential Counselors along with organizing inventory, tracking daily purchases, and completing a final inventory.
- Oversee supply inventory by ordering camp supplies as in advanced and as necessary and tracking spending
- Oversee all off-campus shopping by reviewing and confirming shopping lists and tracking spending
- Oversee “Bunk 1” electronic family communications by uploading the girl blog with paragraphs and photos, print girl emails and confirm fax receipts
- Oversee the close of camp including inventory, packing, and storage
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Participate in five full days of staff training at Mount Holyoke College, June 17-21
- Participate in two full days of post-camp evaluation at Mount Holyoke College, August 5 & 6
A sample of a typical day for the Camp Office Manager
8:40 Office Work
1:35 Errands & Office Work
You may be asked to work after 6 pm.
Candidates must be at least 23 years of age, have at least 2 years of office/administrative experience, possess basic accounting/bookkeeping skills, have some supervisory experience, thrive in fast-paced environments, and be able to multi-task.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be able to create efficient office systems
- Proficiency of Microsoft Office Excel on PC and Mac platforms
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Have excellent customer service skills
- Be responsible and self-motivated
- Have the ability to remain flexible and patient in the face of time pressure and multiple demands
- Be detail-oriented and committed to excellence
- Approach problems creatively and proactively
- Work well with others as part of a team
- Be comfortable with professional observation and regular feedback
- Be passionate about girls’ empowerment and leadership
- Be comfortable with professional observation and consistent feedback
- Approach challenges creatively and proactively
- Have a current and valid drivers license
• $1,200 for fifteen hours per week, May 15 – June 14, 2013
• $4,200 for seven weeks of summer camp inclusive of teacher training and staff orientation, June 14 – August 6, 2013
• Room and board at Mount Holyoke College for June 14 – August 6, 2013
• Total travel reimbursement up to $200 if traveling beyond a 150 mile radius from Mount Holyoke College
Applications will be reviewed and processed in the order received. Although the application deadline is March 15, 2013, hiring decisions may be made prior to this date. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, application, and at least three references in MS Word or a PDF format to Julia Loonin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line of the email should include your full name and “Office Manager Application.” Please call 866.744.9102, extension 2 with any questions. To watch the GLI video, see photos from last summer, or read testimonials please visit www.girlsleadership.org